As the newest member of the SC: Smart Choice coalition, the University of South Carolina is making history by piloting the first university safe rides partnership with Uber in the Palmetto State. Beginning this Thursday, September 8, 2016, USC students will be able to request a discounted Uber ride using a special USC Uber Safe Rides vehicle option during late-night weekend hours. Here is how Uber Safe Rides will work for students at USC:
- Thursdays through Saturdays between 10pm and 3am, USC students can request an Uber ride via the “USC Safe Rides” option in their Uber app.
- During those designated times, rides that begin at Five Points and end within the USC Safe Rides Zone will receive a 25% discount.
- The discounted USC Uber Safe Rides vehicle option will only be visible in the Uber app during the specified late-night weekend hours (10pm to 3am, Thursday through Saturday) for the duration of the fall semester pilot period (Thursday, September 8 through Saturday, October 1).
To unlock the USC Safe Rides vehicle option in the Uber app, students must complete two easy steps. First, students must link their “@email.sc.edu” email to their new or existing Uber account. Second, students must enter a special code that will unlock the USC Safe Rides vehicle option within the Uber app. To do this, tap the ‘Menu’ icon in the top left corner of your Uber app (three horizontal lines). Go to ‘Settings’ and select the ‘Edit Account’ option. Change your existing email to your “@email.sc.edu” address. Once you’ve connected your student email to your Uber account, tap the ‘Menu’ icon in the top left corner of your Uber app (three horizontal lines). Go to the ‘Promotions’ section and enter the code “USCSAFE16“. This will unlock the discounted vehicle option, though it will only be visible in the app during the subsidized late-night weekend hours (10pm-3pm on Thursdays through Saturdays).
Here are some important details to keep in mind for your Uber Safe Rides travel:
- Rides on the USC Safe Rides option are priced the same as uberX rates, less a 25% discount on the overall fare for qualifying trips.
- USC Safe Rides vehicles are guaranteed to fit up to 4 passengers.
- Split fares on qualifying Safe Rides trips will reflect the 25% discount for all riders who have the USC Safe Rides option unlocked on their phone.
- Students must request their ride from the USC Safe Rides option in order for the 25% discount to be applied to qualifying trips. Rides requested using the uberX option will not be discounted.
For more information about Uber Safe Rides in Columbia, read the Uber South Carolina website.
Take the time to visit the main Uber Promotional Codes website for all updates to all ongoing Uber promotions.
Want a free first ride credit for Uber? Sign up for a new Uber account promo and get a free Uber ride automatically loaded into your account.