The recent fires in Hout Bay, Cape Town have destroyed as many as 950 homes, and have left hundreds in need of assistance from their city. On Saturday, strong winds led to massive fires spreading along informal settlements and the surrounding areas in Hout Bay, resulting in many losing their homes and personal belongings. You can help Uber help those in Imizamo Yethu, Hout Bay, by giving back with Uber COMMUNITY! Uber Cape Town is setting up a temporary vehicle view called Uber COMMUNITY that will allow you to donate much-needed donations for the people of Imizamo Yethu, who are currently trying to rebuild their lives. Uber is working with the disaster management team on the ground, who have noted the need for many items, including; baby/kids/adults clothing and shoes, basic toiletries, sanitary pads and nappies (baby to toddler), stationery, non perishable foods & water, household items (kitchen, bedding etc) and large carry bags or boxes to pack goods for families. In addition Uber is collecting dog and cat food for the animals of Hout Bay that will be sent to Darg (Domestic Animal Rescue Group) for distribution. Don’t forget about the hard-working firefighters, as Uber would love to help energise them with energy bars, chocolates, water, energade or soft drinks. Here is how you can help:
- Open the App on Tuesday 14 and Wednesday 15 March, 2017 between 10am – 3pm
- Select the orange card along the bottom of your app saying “Hout Bay Fire Aid”
- Tap the card and request a vehicle through the “Hout Bay Fire Aid” view
- There is no destination needed, the car will come to you
- When the driver arrives – please meet him at your pick up point with your donations boxed and labelled
- There will be no charge for Uber COMMUNITY
Please keep the following information in mind:
- The vehicle view is open between 10am – 3pm; leaving the evening for Uber to get all donations to the Disaster Management Centre.
- Donations cannot be in cash, only items listed above will be accepted
- All donations must be bagged or boxed in order for drivers to accept your donation. Please mark clearly what you are donating!
- Please keep in mind that driver-partners can’t leave vehicles unattended, so bring your items out to meet your driver when they arrive.
- Riders will not be able to take any rides in any of the Uber COMMUNITY vehicle’s
- Driver-Partners will be paid for their part in the collection
Volunteers are extremely busy – so please help them out by labeling and pre-sorting items. For example if you’re donating clothing or shoes, please place these in a box or bag that is labeled ‘clothes and shoes’ and separate them from other donations; this will really help get these to the needy quicker.
For more information about Uber COMMUNITY, read the Uber Cape Town website.
The main Uber Promotional Codes website will provide you with new updates to all ongoing Uber promotions.
See how much you can earn just by signing up to drive for Uber in South Africa by clicking here.