Isn’t it time for uberPOOL Austin to always be available in Texas? After all, it save you money and is a great way to meet other people! Well great news! Seventy six percent of people in the United States commute to work by themselves in their own car. It will come as no surprise to those who travel every day that this kind of congestion lowers productivity and the resulting pollution undermines everyone’s quality of life. It’s why Uber is excited to announce that uberPOOL Austin service is now available around the clock in Austin. UberPOOL Austin enables people going to the same place at the same time to share the journey. It’s all about getting more butts into fewer cars. This means cheaper rides for passengers and less congestion over time. In case you were not familiar with how uberPOOL Austin works, read on.
- Choose the uberX option in the app. Enter your pick-up location and destination as well as how many seats you will need.
- Select uberPOOL to share your ride –– your fare will be guaranteed upfront!
- You’ll see your driver’s details straight away–name, photo and the details of the car. As with uberX, these drivers have undergone an extensive screening process.
- uberPOOL Austin will then match you with another passenger heading in the same direction:
- That passenger will either be in the car at the start of your trip, in which case you’ll see their name in advance; or
- Your driver will pick them up along the way, in which case Uber will notify you via the app.
- Whether you’re first or second into the car Uber ensures that you’re never taken more than a few minutes out of your way.
- At the end of your trip your credit card will be charged just like normal.
Riding with other passengers helps you out because your fares are cheaper. uberPOOL is more affordable because the cost of the trip is shared. The fare per trip is set at 25% less than uberX, which is typically Uber’s cheapest service–whether Uber pairs you up with another passenger or not. In addition, there is less congestion on Austin’s already busy highways. uberPOOL is a convenient way for people going in the same direction at the same time to share the journey. This helps cut congestion and pollution. And because uberPOOL is cheap and easy to use, over time it offers a credible alternative to car ownership. If you can press a button and get an affordable ride across town within minutes at any time of day or night, why bother to own a car at all?
Don’t worry Austin! You are not alone with your love for uberPOOL. Since uberPOOL was launched in San Francisco in September 2014, it has expanded to cities around the world, including: Bangalore, Boston, Chengdu, Chicago, Guangzhou, Hangzhou, London, Los Angeles, Mexico City, Miami, New York City, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Toronto, and Washington D.C. In San Francisco, uberPOOL now makes up nearly half of Uber’s trips in the city. In one month alone, the service saved 120 tons of carbon dioxide emissions when compared with non-pooled trips, the equivalent to the output of over 128,000 pounds of coal. In Los Angeles, riders took more than 5 million uberPOOL trips in the first eight months, saving 7.9 million driving miles. uberPOOL now accounts for more than 30 per cent of Uber’s trips in the city. In New York City, during the last week of October, nearly 50,000 riders took an uberPOOL trip. In one week alone, more than 60,000 miles of car travel on New York City streets were eliminated by matched uberPOOL trips.
For more information about saving money with uberPOOL Austin, read the Uber Texas website.
Return to the main website for all Uber promos for existing users.
Get an automatic Uber new account promotion by signing up here, and your first Uber ride is free.